Hi folks, it’s that time again (“FINALLY”, did I hear you say?)
It’s been a busy semester at school. That doesn’t mean I’ve not been finishing (crocheted or knitted) projects, just that I haven’t gotten around to posting them quite yet. I’ve been working on a few things for the past few months, and here is the first one I am posting: a lovely, crocheted baby cardigan!
I crocheted this lovely gem for one of my good friend’s baby shower. I aimed for a 6-12 month size, somewhere in there, in hopes that it will be fall or winter for when this little cutie will be able to wear it. You never REALLY know with baby clothes. I found the pattern here for purchase, from monpetitviolon‘s etsy shop.
The design worked up wonderfully, and the sizes, in my opinion, are accurate (i.e. the 6 month-ish size fit my nephew when he was 4 months old, but fitting into 6 month clothing.)
I made it in a tan colour, because we didn’t know what sex the baby was going to be. Turns out it’s a girl and she is going to look lovely in this sweater! I can’t wait until she’s old enough to give it a try 😀
Oh, and by the way, here are some pictures for you.
I hope you enjoy! I really love the great detail in the body and the sleeves. It’s a great texture but without being too much.
You may have seen several of my posts have a theme to them–and that is baby! We are getting ready for the arrival of my sister’s first baby, and I’ve been knitting and crocheting up a storm in preparation. Today’s entry is no different. I saw these Baby Cowboy Booties on Pinterest. At first, many of the options were paid. Since I don’t have much money coming in, I of course looked for a free option. It took a while, but with a little patience I found it for free (at the link already provided). I had a little issue understanding certain parts of the pattern, so it took me months after finding the pattern to even begin working on it. It wasn’t until I was browsing Moogly blog *I love Moogly blog!* that I found a full video tutorial of the same cowboy booties I was trying to make. I was so happy, and I knew my sister would be too when I completed making them. (She saw the Pin that I shared on Pinterest, and requested that I make them, if I can).
The pattern was relatively simple, once I got a few things figured out. I miscounted somehow and they aren’t as straight as they should be around the top, but next time I will hopefully do a little better. I used Bernat’s Handicrafter Cotton, and they were larger than I was expecting them to be–but ultimately that doesn’t matter, he’ll grow into them eventually! Now that I know the process, I can always try to make them a little smaller!
Here are some finished product pictures:
I decided to make a star for the sides of it instead, and I think they turned out well. I also just put them on one side each to differentiate between right and left booty (not that it really matters with the pattern.) Can’t wait to see my little nephew crawling/walking around in these!
It’s been a few months! Sorry about that, folks. This is due to a few simple reasons…. the most important being that lately I’ve only been working on gifts. May, June and July have been busy with events that needed to be celebrated, whether for Mother’s day, birthdays, weddings or baby showers. I didn’t want to blog about the gifts before the recipients had a chance to see it for themselves. I wont post them all in one blog–they’ll be too much. But hopefully over the next few days I will be able to post each one. I am starting today with the Mother’s Day gift I made–a tea cosy.
I began the pattern with the Patons Decor — Cushy Smocked Throw and Tea Cosy in mind (Free registration required to view pattern). I wasn’t planning on making the throw–but I loved the look of the tea cosy. I didn’t have any of Paton’s Decor yarn lying around, so I used some I had already purchased that I thought my mom would love. Unfortunately, it’s not the same weight of yarn as the Decor, so I knit one side and realized there was no way it was going to fit the tea pot! So I improvised, and crocheted a border in a nice yellow Loops & Threads wool (one of my favourites to work with, but I haven’t been able to find it recently). To go with that, since the gift was already very late past Mother’s Day, I simply crocheted a back, the same size as the front that I had made. I then stitched them together, and crocheted a little handle. Instead of being a fitted tea cosy, I made it into one that will (hopefully) fit over the entire pot (the type of tea cosy my mom typically uses, anyway.)
Lessons learned from this experience: Gauge and weight of yarn matters, maybe I should pay attention to it once in a while. And tea cosies are very difficult to make to fit tea pots you can’t physically measure it against. I need to work on that, as they make great gifts.
Ta-Da! Here are some finished product pictures for you: (the picture of it on a teapot is my sister’s teapot, which is a different shape and size than my mom’s so it fits awkwardly. My dad told me the measurements for the correct size, and I tried to work with it, but it was a challenge!)
A close-up of the knitted portion.
I hope you enjoyed this post! More to follow shortly.