Time for another update.
Another piece of work I had been meaning to post is a simple one. I had my cousin’s wedding to attend in June, and needed an idea of what to make for a wedding gift. I settled on coasters–something really simple, but I figured she may appreciate being hand made. I went to Ravelry (which is often the first place I look for patterns), and quickly found the pattern for Springtime Coasters. I didn’t have the exact same yarn that was used, so I improvised and used what scrap yarn I had lying around from other projects. At first, I didn’t think the colours were going to go very well together. When I finished all six of them, they all just kind of came together and I think they work nicely.
Here are some pictures for you to enjoy:
An issue I had, once they were all crocheted, was that they were not lying flat (which I thought was very important for a coaster…) So I considering trying to starch them to make them flat and stiff, it didn’t seem to work well, so I settled on simply ironing them on low. A simple solution, and easy enough for her to “fix” if they get bent out of shape again 🙂
It’s been a few months! Sorry about that, folks. This is due to a few simple reasons…. the most important being that lately I’ve only been working on gifts. May, June and July have been busy with events that needed to be celebrated, whether for Mother’s day, birthdays, weddings or baby showers. I didn’t want to blog about the gifts before the recipients had a chance to see it for themselves. I wont post them all in one blog–they’ll be too much. But hopefully over the next few days I will be able to post each one. I am starting today with the Mother’s Day gift I made–a tea cosy.
I began the pattern with the Patons Decor — Cushy Smocked Throw and Tea Cosy in mind (Free registration required to view pattern). I wasn’t planning on making the throw–but I loved the look of the tea cosy. I didn’t have any of Paton’s Decor yarn lying around, so I used some I had already purchased that I thought my mom would love. Unfortunately, it’s not the same weight of yarn as the Decor, so I knit one side and realized there was no way it was going to fit the tea pot! So I improvised, and crocheted a border in a nice yellow Loops & Threads wool (one of my favourites to work with, but I haven’t been able to find it recently). To go with that, since the gift was already very late past Mother’s Day, I simply crocheted a back, the same size as the front that I had made. I then stitched them together, and crocheted a little handle. Instead of being a fitted tea cosy, I made it into one that will (hopefully) fit over the entire pot (the type of tea cosy my mom typically uses, anyway.)
Lessons learned from this experience: Gauge and weight of yarn matters, maybe I should pay attention to it once in a while. And tea cosies are very difficult to make to fit tea pots you can’t physically measure it against. I need to work on that, as they make great gifts.
Ta-Da! Here are some finished product pictures for you: (the picture of it on a teapot is my sister’s teapot, which is a different shape and size than my mom’s so it fits awkwardly. My dad told me the measurements for the correct size, and I tried to work with it, but it was a challenge!)
A close-up of the knitted portion.
I hope you enjoyed this post! More to follow shortly.