Ankle Socks, Part 1

Hello dear friends and family.

It’s possible I should have waited until BOTH ankle socks were completed to update my blog. I was so excited with the results of the first one, however, that I instead decided to make it a two parter. I used Bernat’s sock yarn, I can’t remember the name of it but the one that is two shades of pink and two shades of green. Instead of using the Bernat sock patterns, I used the Paton’s Kroy Socks pattern (specifically the Jacquard & Stripe Socks pattern–membership required, but free, to view the pattern). Instead of making it calf-length (I really just had one ball of it), I simply did 10 rows of ribbing followed by 10 rows of stockinette to make it an ankle-length sock. I thought this length turned out to be the perfect length.

Here are some pictures so that you can see the overall colour pattern the yarn created, which I love!!

IMG_2425 IMG_2426 IMG_2427

 

Now some more specific information and pictures. I really love how the heel flap and instep turned out. They’re beauties. Check them out:

IMG_2428 IMG_2429

 

For some reason, and I’m not really sure why, these two sections of making socks are the most fun to me. I don’t know why these stitches aren’t used in more patterns. They can be really pretty with the right yarn! Now on to the toes:

IMG_2430

 

I was worried from the beginning when the pattern said to “graft” the two sections together. I was like “what? Is that an actual knitting term?” But I found a couple helpful youtube videos and just went with it. The first time I got halfway across and realized (somehow) that my stitches were not the same on each needle (which they really should be…) So I went back, unwove it and picked the stitches back up, not really an easy thing to do at that point. Eventually I picked up the correct stitches, watched another couple videos, and it seems to have worked. Probably not my neatest stitch, but certainly less obvious than any other seam I’ve done! So I’ll call it a success, despite the mild frustration.

I was very pleased with this pattern and the fit of the finished product. The pattern was very easy to read and follow (compared to other sock patterns I have seen), and the measurements from the pattern seem to have been very accurate. My next blog will probably be a continuation of this, to see how knitting sock #2 turns out. Also, to see how well they look together! Stay tuned.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s